Sunday 30 January 2011

KIKI DEE MASTERCLASS...


If there could be any talent wished upon me, I'd love to be able to play a musical instrument and I'd love to be able to sing. And if I could sing like anyone, undoubtedly it would be to sing like Kiki Dee (closely followed by Dusty Springfield). Kiki Dee will always be remembered for her biggest hit in 1976 duetting with Elton John on 'Don't Go Breaking My Heart'. I always thought she looked a little like a children's tv presenter during that video when she wore those ill-advised dungarees. But there was always a bit more to Kiki Dee than being Elton's sidekick. Check out 'Amoureuse' for a sensationally sung ballad. The mighty Motown certainly knew talent when they saw it - signing Kiki Dee as the first white female to their label. 
Kiki, who originally hailed from Bradford as plainly named Pauline Matthews actually started out as Dusty Springfield's backing singer. Whilst Dusty's career hit the heady heights due in part to her voice being suited completely to the excellence of Burt Bacharach's songwriting, Kiki Dee never really hit the big time and she remained somewhat underrated. 
And check out the video of 'I've Got The Music In Me'. As someone commented on You Tube, half a century run of American Idol or X Factor wouldn't come close to finding this kind of talent. Kiki you were (and probably still are) the Manchester United of the Premiership. Rhianna? Lady Ga Ga? - Fleetwood Town of the Blue Square Conference League I'm afraid. 
  

2 comments:

  1. Okay, now I'm showing my age. Way back in 1974, I saw Elton John in concert, in Vancouver, on his 'Goodbye Yellow Brick Road', tour. The opening act was Kiki Dee and the crowd became restless. Kiki got rather pissed off and declared, 'F**k off! Elton will be out in a few minutes!' She then came out later, to much applause, to do that duet of 'Don't Go Breaking My Heart' with Elton John.
    There you go, I'm going back to my shy and humble blog...:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well that's not very ladylike from Kiki is it? I went to see The Pretenders years ago and Chrissie Hynde said the same only they were the headline act! I remember thinking 'ooh, get you'. Thanks for sharing that anecdote Gary.
    FFB

    ReplyDelete