Sunday 30 January 2011

EYE, EYE...



It's day two in the Fishfingerbutty house, and FFB has a dodgy eye. I woke up yesterday with that sinking feeling of all was not well in the ocular department. Call it intuition, but a crusty, stuck together and puffy eye had my suspicions raised. A planned day out with friends with cameras in hand, and a good walk around Morecambe bay following by a pub lunch had to be postponed as the freezing conditions were not really conducive to a dodgy eye. Feeling a little miserable and slightly under the weather, I headed back to bed where I slept for another 5 hours before another kind mate came and picked me up and we schlepped down to the NHS walk-in centre. We are very lucky in Blackpool to have a state-of-the-art and very new walk-in-centre where you will be seen by nurses and doctors almost straightway 24 hours a day. It's taken a huge strain of the A&E department at our local hospital, not to mention having to wait for a GP appointment. Unfortunately, yesterday afternoon was very, very busy and there was about a 40 minute wait before I got to see a nurse. Forty minutes sat with the great unwashed and what seemed like a whole nursery full of Tiffany-Jade's and Regan's screaming was just about enough before thoughts of serious self-harm set in. I had a quick check over and a torch shone into my eye at various angles before Nurse Jackie told me I had a chalazion. A what?? Apparently it's a cyst on the inner eyelid which will go with the help of very hot compresses (to aid their bursting - blurrrhgh) and some ointment. Jackie also recommended I sleep in an upright position to avoid my eye swelling up and sticking again. Mmmm.. not sure about that one. Anyway, after a good night's sleep (in prone position), I have woken up with an eye not too dissimilar to a cross between Lisa 'Left Eye' Lopez and Gabrielle singing 'Dreams' but without the eyepatch. It's grim, but the hot compress is at ready....
    

2 comments:

  1. Hats off to Nurse Jackie for the quick diagnosis. I hope you've burst the little bugger, FFB. I don't think an eye patch would suit you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I don't think I'd suit an eyepatch either GB. I'd look too much like Bazooka Joe. A chalazion is a new one on me and can't say I'm very enamoured with it. Hats off indeed to Nurse Jackie..

    ReplyDelete