Saturday 18 September 2010

ONE STEP NEARER THE NURSING HOME....


A few weeks ago during my lovely weekend in York, I made the fatal mistake of buying some Thorntons toffee. I knew I shouldn't have, but temptation got the better of me. Two bites in, and a sickening crack later, I discover a fractured front tooth stuck into the toffee. That sickening feeling then extends to your stomach because you suddenly realise that you will have a couple of weeks of looking like a female wrestler, and that you can kiss goodbye to hundreds of pounds in dental fees. I'm not a great fan of going to the dentist. It's a necessary evil and I always keep my teeth up to scratch with check ups and hygienist appointments. As I've said before in this blog, I have an usually low pain threshold which sends me into a sweaty gibbering wreck at the prospect of local anaesthetic needles (ouch) and worse to come... the prospect of having the fractured tooth extracted. Last week at the dentist got off to bad start. I had to have impressions done - not the kind where my dentist put on a fez on did a Tommy Cooper, but those goey denture-shaped things that harden after a couple of minutes to provide a replica of the shape of your teeth. Well, it was popped in and I did well up to 3.5 seconds before the gagging started. Horrendous. 
And so to yesterday's visit to the dentist when I'm faced with the inevitable tooth extraction. Awful is the only word to describe it. I'm then fitted with a temporary denture until the bridge work can be done next month. A DENTURE! OMG I feel I have now reached old age status. I shall take up wearing Damart thermal directoire knickers next and start singing along to Vera Lynn records. Because I'm a total fool, I go straight back to work with a bleeding cavity,  wobbly legs and £200 less in my bank account. 
Does the body go into shock after teeth are removed? Last night I was a  shivering and thoroughly out of sorts grump who crashed out on the sofa at 9pm only to be woken in the early hours by by tv and the lights all still on. The denture has been removed this morning to find a ground zero-type cavity and a very sore and swollen mouth. 
And it all starts again in 4 weeks. Can't wait.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment