Wednesday 16 December 2009

WATER WATER EVERYWHERE...

Two days have passed since my new shower was fitted which has given me enough time to reduce my blood pressure to normal levels. You see, the problem is I'm cursed with water spillage. Not just a small puddle or an occasional drip. Taps, pipes, boilers, drains all leak with alarming regularity and devastation within my home. A coupel of years ago, an electrician managed to cut through a central heating pipe and the resulting flood caused thousands of pounds worth of damage to my ceilings, carpets and walls. It was with some hesitation that I asked a plumber to sort out my shower which has had a pathetic trickle of water either at scalding or stone cold temperature for the past three years. A pump was fitted and I stood back and gazed in pure happiness in expectation of last having a decent pressurised shower. The plumber drove off in his white van with jaunty wave, a sizeable cheque in his pocket and several cups of coffee and a packet of biscuits in his belly. Upstairs I went to try out my new shower, when there was a huge 'pop', water gushing from behind my shower knob and that awful realisation that gallons and gallons of water was now making its way through my carpets and down my walls towards the lounge below. Joy of joys, water was indeed gushing through ceiling coves and downwards through light shades and sockets before resting soggily and across wide-ranging areas on my wool carpets. Anyway, I find myself saying swear words I hadn't realised I knew and began the mop up operation. The plumber returned and it all turned out well in the end. New parts were fitted, the carpets and walls have dried out, and best of all the shower is fantastic. For now....

No comments:

Post a Comment