Sunday 13 June 2010

STRAWBERRY FIELDS FOREVER....

I love summer because I can indulge myself in pursuit of my two favourite food items.. strawberries and ice cream. Strawberries are just that quintessential English summer icon which are just delicious at the moment. Unfortunately, my dislike and total avoidance of cream puts a dampener on the ideal combo and Wimbledon favourite, strawberries and cream. I make do with the rather splendid alternative of vanilla ice cream or Rachel's Organic Bio-yoghurt. I try only to eat strawberries when they're in season, only English or Scottish varieties and never mass-produced from abroad. That's not xenophobic statement, it's just that I'm now making a conscious effort to source food locally or least from the UK and when it is in season. The exception of course is food items like bananas, avocados etc which are grown in warmer climates, but for the most part, a bit of eco-friendliness goes a long way these days. 
I'm scratching my head to think of any strawberry picking farms around the Fylde Coast or Wyre area but can't think of any. Surprising really given that it's an area rich in arable, market gardening land. If anyone knows of any, please feel free to let me know and I'll be there with a Transit Van loaded with punnets.....

No comments:

Post a Comment